This four-hour playlist defies categorization. It’s got a lot of the elements that you already expect from my Spotify Long Player mixes: deep tracks, remixes, funk, breakbeats, and female vocalists.
There is so much great music available today on Spotify and other streaming services. When I put on my headphones and get into Musical Discovery Mode, I feel like a child in a confectionery.
Listen On Spotify
- Booker T. Jones, Yim Yames – Progress
- Miguel, Tame Impala – waves – Tame Impala Remix
- The Growlers – Night Ride
- Isaiah Sharkey – Believe
- Bill Laurance – Time to Run
- Montana – Warp Factor II
- Chip Wickham – Rebel No.23
- Funky Destination, Soopasoul – The Inside Man – Soopasoul Remix
- Kikagaku Moyo – Dripping Sun
- Walter Wanderley – Os Grilos
- Jazzinuf – Caffè Mocha
- Pan Amsterdam – The Lotion Song
- Vursatyl – High Horse
- Ricky-Tick Big Band, Julkinen Sana – Julkinen Sana
- Fort Knox Five, K+Lab, Baby Bam – Jinglin’ Janglin’
- Louis Cole – Weird Part of The Night
- Armand Van Helden, Komes – Fried Chicken
- The Du-Rites – Don’t Call Me Pedro
- Tom Misch, De La Soul – It Runs Through Me
- Orgone, Adryon de León – Suma Juice
- The Derevolutions – Just One Look
- Palov – Lokums & Matches
- Dent May – Why I Came To California
- Richard Swift – Broken Finger Blues
- Galt MacDermot – Coffee Cold
- Galt MacDermot – Fishing
- Marcus Miller – Blast
- Jeff Lorber Fusion – Sport Coat Makes Good
- Van Morrison – Ain’t Gonna Moan No More
- Portugal. The Man, Medasin – Feel It Still – Medasin Remix
- Turkuaz – Bubba Slide
- Baby Huey & The Baby Sitters – One Dragon Two Dragon
- Shuggie Otis – Inspiration Information
- Bob James – Take Me To The Mardi Gras
- Delicate Steve – Selfie of a Man
- Men I Trust – Show Me How
- J.Lamotta – Turning
- Amber Arcades – Alpine Town
- Paper Void – Safekeeping
- Kacey Musgraves – High Horse
- Deerhunter – Element
- Kikagaku Moyo – Nazo Nazo
- Morcheeba, Benjamin Biolay – Paris sur Mer
- Joutro Mundo – Melo Da Garrafa
- Pat Van Dyke – Lotus
- Lennie Hibbert – Village Soul
- Kelenkye Band – Jungle Music
- Kimara Lovelace, Danny Tenaglia – Only You – DT’s Groove Jet Mix
- Ghetto Brothers – Got This Happy Feeling
- Dzihan & Kamien – I’ve Seen …
- Nubiyan Twist, Nubiya Brandon – Brother
Confectionery Liner Notes
About the music
🤯If you have eight minutes and twenty-four seconds to melt your brain down, then check out Bill Laurance – Time To Run.
🔥Chip Wickham might blow the meanest flute I’ve heard since Hubert Laws
🍶Warm up some sake before listening to Dripping Sun by Kikagu Moyo
⛸️Imagine people ice skating in fashionable European ski resorts in the 1960s while you listen to Os Grilos by Walter Wanderley.
☕The receptionist said, “Please hold while we find your reservation,” as Caffe Mocha played in the background
🇳🇴Julkinen Sana is the result of Norwegians mixing Big Band and Hip Hop
😥Good thing Van Morrison Aint Gonna Moan No More. He will keep making deep tracks.
🎹Galt McDermot passed away in December 2018 at the age of 90. You should read Egon’s long-form article about his life and legacy.
😎I got turned on to Louis Cole when my friend shared this video on social media:
About the title
I listen to books on tape when I drive. Usually, I’ll take an
Chernow is a great biographer. He goes into great detail when he researches and talks about historical figures. He describes a scene in Grant where after winning the Civil War, the Grants made a visit Ulysses’ parents and siblings in Galena, Illinois. His father, Jesse Root Grant, a total schemer who was always trying to cash in on his son’s name. He ran a leather goods store which he ran with his other two sons, Simpson and Orvil. The jealousy shown by his sister-in-law is remarkable:
Old family jealousies still festered and Orvil’s wife, Mary, reacted to Grant’s visit with her old tart-tongued perspective about her brother-in-law.”He was the same, maybe a little more self impressed, but Julia was much worse,” she said. “She still ran after him, bragged on him, told me, ‘Isn’t he ever more handsome with his three-star boards?’ and like nonsense. She togged herself in expensive clothes, but he still was dressed like he rolled out of bed, though Julia always said he was the handsomest soldier, always fussing and hovering over him, which he lapped up like a boy in a confectionery.”Grant Ron Chernow
About the artwork
I had considered using some stock art pictures of candy shops from Unsplash – a treasure trove of free high-quality stock photos.
But in the end, I went with a photo that I took in the outdoor market in Jerusalem in 2005. Check out the whole set on Google Photos.
I appreciate all the people in my life that share music with me. Some people don’t even know the impact. Maybe they never will. Either way, thanks to the following: Brandon, Brian, Cheesy, Daniel, Gil, and all the robots.